ARTIST CRIT GROUPS
Twelve-week virtual critique groups to launch your career though dedicated time, support, and feedback
Have you felt like this?
- You’re missing feedback and validation on the art you’re making
- You’re lacking accountability and dragging your heels to your studio
- You’re overwhelmed by possibilities and not sure the next direction to take your art practice
- You’re looking for a supportive community of peers who are excited about making work
Us too. But we know we’re not alone, and you don't have to be either.
HOW IT WORKS
Our twelve-week crit groups create an environment for thoughtful, accessible feedback on your creative practice that will help launch you into your next phase as an artist. Each group is kept small with limited spots available, allowing each artist to have significant time, support, and dedicated feedback on a rotating weekly schedule.
INSIDE EACH GROUP WE WILL:
Develop a strong artistic voice
Provide support and insightful feedback
Find next steps and opportunities
Build community and connection
It’s time to find the support you've been searching for.Join Now
The feedback process is completed independently on a "virtual crit wall" inside a dedicated Slack community.
Each artist will share, ask questions to the group, and receive honest, thoughtful and caring feedback from their fellow members and facilitator. There will also be opportunity to message and chat with your group members to grow your network and creative practices in a collaborative environment.
GROUP CHECK INS
Studio Mates will host four group video calls, through Zoom. These group meetings will be a friendly opportunity to set goals with intention and accountability, ask questions to other group members, and workshop your creative practice to take on new ideas and opportunities.
Above all, they will be a chance to build connections with other creatives and create feedback that is personal and meaningful.
A NOTE ON CRITIQUE
All feedback will be constructive and considerate, rooted in empowerment, encouragement, and honesty, and conversations will be moderated and visible to members and facilitators. No harsh or closed-minded words will be tolerated in this program, to allow each member to feel safe and free to share their work without hesitation.
"A WONDERFUL AND SUPPORTIVE GROUP TO BE A PART OF.
The program really made me think about and evaluate my own work and process as an artist. The advice, suggestions, thoughtful comments and guidance from the group have given me a new outlook and positive perspective on my work.
Through the discussions and feedback I was really able to find my voice and understand the direct messages I am trying to convey through my paintings. I highly recommend this program, the benefits are invaluable.
A LITTLE MORE ABOUT US!
We met in our first semester of the University of Guelph's Studio Art program in 2012 and knew we'd found a friend for life.
After we graduated in 2016 we created The Gathered Gallery to support artists; it started as a blog featuring a different artist every week, and it has grown into practical, community-based resources for artists in need of creative support.
"This program was a valuable experience as it brought together such a variety of artists.
Emily, Natalie, and each artist brought different perspectives in terms of their life and practice. The program was a unifying effort to learn and grow from each other and better you own independent practice. Seeing and getting to know each other in a more intimate setting was really vulnerable and valuable.
"It was so good to hear from artists working in different mediums from different academic backgrounds.
I was able to get feedback that helped move me away from some thought patterns that I hadn't realized had become entrenched. Getting so many different ideas and perspectives opened up a lot of new avenues for me to explore. Even the questions asked by the group helped me to go deeper into my work.
PROGRAM RIGHT FOR YOU?
- You have at least two works (in progress or complete) and are ready for feedback
- You have questions about your art and/or process
- You are ready to flex your critique muscles and give insight and thoughtful feedback to your peers
- You are working towards a goal that would benefit from a new perspective
- You have limited time and require something you can complete independently and on the go
- You are looking to connect with other artists experiencing the same thing as you
- You need accountability and support to boost your commitment to your art career
- You are serious about your practice and ready to invest in yourself
- You believe in community over competition and are excited to help other artists rise
We can’t wait to connect and grow with you!
READY TO JOIN?
Sign Up For Our Waitlist
Get notified as soon as the doors open!